Thursday, May 3, 2007

No abortion in Ireland

I’ve just read the BBC article “Irish teen in court abortion plea”. It’s about a seventeen year old girl (she wants to stay anonymous), who’s in the fourth month of her pregnancy.

The teenager decided to have the abortion, because her fetus has anencephaly which leads to the baby’s death soon after birth. The pro-choice campaigners support this decision, saying it’s a cruel thing to let her have the baby just to see it die.

However, abortion is illegal in Ireland as long as the mother’s health isn’t endangered. Since that’s not the case, the girl has no chance to end the pregnancy in Ireland. Still, it would be possible for her to go to the UK, where abortion was legalized in 1967.

In my opinion, it’s unreasonable to make her giving birth to a baby that has no chance to live. Isn’t it hard enough for a girl to find out that your baby is terminal sick? And isn’t it the point of laws to make life easier and more comfortable? I really can’t understand the decision of the Irish Court.


Initially I wanted to find photos of babies with anencephaly and add them. Well, believe me, you don't want to see such photos. I don't think I've ever seen such horrible and touching pictures and after looking at them I understand the girl's wish even more. Tip: Don't google for abortion either!!!

3 comments:

BoggyWoggy said...

anencephaly...
Looked it up using Google. Terrible defect. Those who are born are completely incapable of any neuro-functions. Most do not breathe. There is absolutely no ability to see, hear, touch, feel, or ???

Photos are so revealing.

birgit_leonhardsberger said...

I'm not sure if those babies are or aren't able to feel, however, I absolutely agree with you that it's a horrible disease.

Birgit said...

Abortion is a very complex topic, and I think that one can't say it should be legal in that country and should be illegal there. I'm of the opinion that the situation has always to be considered. Why should this girl have the baby? Where's the point in that?
It's not that this girl just doesn't want to have her baby, she has a very good reason for an abortion...
That's really something I can not understand...

Life of Brian