Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

I guess all of you know that movie, so I decided that -instead of a summary- I'll answer some questions from esl-notes. That's an interesting site which tries to support the learning progress by offering vocabulary, a summary and discussion questions for several DVDs. Though the vocab isn't too challenging, the questions are interesting to think about.


This movie seems to be about Greek-American culture; In fact, is it really about all kinds of ethnic Americans? How so?
The story about Toula and Ian is certainly a special one, though it’s overdrawn to some extent to make it a comedy. The story is neither complicated nor intellectually demanding, but still, I believe that the movie reveals some basic truths about the contact between any cultures.

It shows problems that might arise when different cultures meet, but also how those problems can be solved by trying to understand the other culture. The keyword in cross-cultural experiences is undoubtedly tolerance. One doesn’t have to adopt all the customs of a culture, but one should know a thing or two about them.

If you were Ian, would you have agreed to join another church in order to marry Toula?
Being not too religious myself, I am not keen on joining any church. Admittedly, I am Roman-Catholic on paper, but not because I decided to be, but because my parents baptized me when I was too young to raise objection.

However, if my boyfriend was really religious and it was so important to him or his family that we married in a church, why not do them the favour? As long as they don’t expect me to practise their religion I’m fine with that. Above all, I should somehow be able to relate to the religion, since I’m not willing to join some sect or a Church I don’t understand.

Has the United States largely succeeded in creating a great “melting pot” (in which people from all cultures have blended together), or is it more like a “salad bowl” (in which people from different cultures stick to their own groups)?
Personally, I think Americans aren’t the product of a melting pot culture anymore. In former days, people tried more eagerly to adapt to the new culture. That’s because they had turned their back on their old home countries and the values there.

Nowadays, however, American culture is an own culture just like British, Greek, Russian etc. As a result it’s criticized and praised just like any other culture. The ones who love the American culture will try to adopt American behaviour and values, whereas there are also people who prefer sticking to their own culture.

Accordingly, America is both a melting pot (for those who love American culture) and a salad bowl (for the ones who like America, but prefer to stick to their own culture).

Did you like this movie? Why or why not?
I really love that movie. I’ve already watched it three times and I dare to predict that it wasn’t the last time. It’s hilarious, especially the granny, who always runs about cursing out the Turks. (Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Turks, but still, the granny always cracks me up!)

No comments:

Life of Brian