Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Catcher in the Rye


I’ve just finished this classical book by J.D Salinger.
It's about a wayward teenager who retells some weeks of his life.

Holden Caufield is a 16-year-old boy, who obviously has serious problems adapting to his environment. More than once he has been thrown out of school, but he doesn’t seem to learn anything from it. He keeps blaming the school itself, the teachers and his –in his opinion phoney- classmates.

Holden has mixed feelings about nearly everything in his life. On the one hand, he wants to have a normal life, including family, friends and school education. But on the other hand, every time he is not successful he gives up and even stops trying. That leads to constant moaning, the way teenagers probably tend to do.

What I liked about the book is that Salinger captured the very picture of a frightened teenager. The lingo he uses makes this image even more complete and makes one think about teenagers, their feelings and needs.

4 comments:

fn said...

It really is a classic book, isn't it.

What are you going to read next?

How do you find the time to read things that don't pertain directly to your studies?

When I was a student we had so much to read that I barely had time to read the newspaper!

birgit_leonhardsberger said...

note:
I mixed up the words classical and classic.
classical is what we'd call "klassisch" in German. Accordingly, classical literature refers to literature of ancient Rome or Greece and not to books like "The Catcher in the Rye". Thanks for the hint...

Birgit said...

I read this book as well and loved it :)

Eva said...

The boy who used to cut his toenails in somebody others bed really disgusted me. But I really like the book. Have you ever tried reading something by Douglas Coupland? I´ve read three books so far and I love them!!

Life of Brian